Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The blog experience

I was asked a question about the blogging experience. I've really enjoyed it and would recommend it to you if you want to share your moving experience.

Posting messages on the blog was easier for me than sending out individual emails to family and friends. I had limited bandwidth so sending photos by email was painful and slow but posting the photos to the blog made it easier to share them. The blog also kept a historical record of my posts that I could look back on from time to time. This is a lot harder to do through email.

Blog sites are free to set up, unless you would like some special features. Once you set it up I recommend limiting who has access. What I did was I controlled who could leave comments on the site by enabling the feature "moderate comments". You can also limit who can view your blog and this might be a good idea if you are posting a lot of personal information that you don't want strangers to have access to. If you do this, please add me as a guest so I can see your blog.

If you want to make money off your blog, send me a private email and I'll send you some links and resources that you can use to get started. I have decided not to do that for my blog, but there are lots of people who have turned their writing into a business. It sounds like a great idea - have fun with your writing and get paid for it. I like the getting paid part, just not the obligation to create original content regularly to attract readers. Something to think about for you writers, though.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Happy blogging.

No comments: