Monday, August 3, 2009

I will read the plaque so you don't have to

plaque
Spelled Pronunciation [plak]
–noun
1. a thin, flat plate or tablet of metal, porcelain, etc., intended for ornament, as on a wall, or set in a piece of furniture.
2. an inscribed commemorative tablet, usually of metal placed on a building, monument, or the like.

When a visitor comes to Ottawa they are likely to have limited time and will want to see the major attractions: Parliament, the Canal, the Babe (Balcony type, of course). Since there are other little tidbits that are interesting, but not necessarily interesting enough to visit, I will make some short blog posts about them for your reading pleasure.

This LONG series of posts was generated by a very interesting bike ride that I did today along Sussex drive and the Rockcliffe Parkway in Ottawa. I enjoyed the scenery immensely and stopped at some of the cool sights that I encountered.

The commentary that accompanies each post was taken from the material provided at the site, along with my own observations. Since this tour is meant to represent the human interaction with the city (ie: me biking around and sharing with you), no effort has been made to fact check or compare the information at each site with any info available on the internet or in libraries. You may judge for yourself whether the commentary is accurate or not.

In fact, I am prone to mistakes and will admit them right now. Last week I told CP that the Prime Minister's residence was ranch style. I discovered today that I was looking at the wrong house and apparently he lives in a huge mansion.

If you would like a close up view of any of these photos, click ONCE on the picture and it will magically grow to fill your screen. To return to the main blog page just click once on the back arrow in your browser.

I did not attempt to write these posts in a style that generates much discussion. Please don't let that stop you, however. If you would like to share info that amplifies or illuminates the blog posts, please write as long a commentary as you like. In fact - post many commentaries. Also, if you know of a site that I should visit, please drop me a line and I'll add it to the itinerary of a future trip. Thanks.
BB

No comments: